Since I’ve not been able to keep down much food lately, I’ve been experimenting with different soups and other liquid-y fare. I wish I could remember where I found this recipe to give them some credit, but I guess since I made a few changes it is probably okay.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can artichoke bottoms (8 oz. drained weight)
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream
- Green onions (for garnish)
1. Make roux: Heat the broth until it is hot but not boiling. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat, then add the flour one tablespoon at a time, whisking until it's completely incorporated before adding the next tablespoon. Add hot broth slowly, whisking constantly. Cook about ten minutes.
2. Puree artichoke bottoms until smooth as is possible in blender or food processor with garlic, lemon, salt, pepper and mustard.
3. Add puree and cream to butter, flour, and broth mixture.
4. Heat through then serve garnished with chopped green onions.