I have been wanting to make this ever since I saw the Disney movie in 2007. This summer I have access to a LOT of zucchini since my uncle is growing some in his garden, and while I was looking up zucchini recipes I discovered that ratatouille uses quite a bit of zucchini so I decided to make it today for our Sunday dinner.
This recipe is a crock-pot ratatouille recipe, so it is not going to look like what they eat in the movie. That type of ratatouille takes a LONG time to make. I am assuming that this tastes about the same:
- 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 large onion. julienne
- 2 large zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red pepper, julienne
- 1 large green pepper, julienne
- 1 tomato, diced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Starting with the onions, layer the vegetables into your crockpot only using half of the amount you have.
- Add the herbs, spices, and the tomato paste.
- Layer the remaining vegetables into your crockpot.
- Cover the vegetables with the olive oil.
- Cook on low for between 7 to 9 hours.
I will admit that I did not follow the recipe completely, and rather than layer I just mixed everything all together since I figured it would end up that way on the plate anyways. I also added mushrooms since I had some that I needed to use up. It turned out pretty good (needed a little salt). I just served it with some rolls, I’m not sure how the French traditionally serve it, but since they like bread maybe I got it right!