The original recipe on allrecipes.com called these “Lemon Zucchini Drops” and they are supposed to be cookies. However, when I had everything mixed in the dough looked far too runny so I put them in mini muffin tins and they turned out perfectly! In fact, they are the exact consistency of a muffin, so I’m not really sure they would hold together well as a cookie.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (I use a LOT more, and added a little bit of lemon juice because I love lemon)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins (I omitted the raisins because I hate them)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (this is so wrong, more like 4-5 tablespoons if you want it really runny so it’s just a light glaze)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, zucchini and lemon peel. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets (or muffin tins! I recommend the muffin tins!). Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For glaze, combine sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve a thin spreading consistency. Spread or drizzle over cooled cookies.
I brought these to our last day breakfast at NASA and everybody loved them!