Isn’t it odd that until recently I had never heard of savory french toast? It is delicious!! Also works much better for those breakfast-for-dinner nights.
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- vegetable oil
- 8 (1/2") slices day-old bread, cut on the diagonal
- In a bowl or baking dish, beat together eggs with half-and-half, salt, pepper, green onions, and cilantro.
- Heat a medium or large skillet over medium-high heat. Cover the bottom of the skillet with vegetable oil and add a tablespoon or two of butter for taste.
- Dip the bread triangles into the egg batter, drain off any excess, and place straight into the hot pan. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side – you want to develop a golden-brown color and the texture should be crispier than traditional French toast. Place cooked toasts on a paper towel-lined plate or rack to drain.
- Serve warm with a side of ketchup.