Liebster: (der) n. sweetheart, beloved person, darling
- Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
- Answer the questions that the nominator set for you, plus create 11 questions for the people you've nominated to answer.
- Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
- Go to their page and tell them.
- No tag backs.
Because I recently decided to be a more regular blogger, and because Chelsea is doing it too (she is my blogging idol) I decided it might be a fun thing to do. (Plus, Liebster sounds a little like lobster, and I think a Lobster Award sounds hilarious.) So, here it goes!
11 Things About Me
- The first thing I do when I get home is turn on music or a tv show - I hate being home alone without any background noise.
- The aforementioned habit has led me to develop a new talent: I can watch a tv show and read a book at the same time, and still (usually) know what is happening in both. This is surprisingly handy.
- I become easily obsessed. New TV show? Love it and have to watch the whole season in one sitting. New book? My favorite and I have to read every book that author has ever written. Luckily these obsessions don't usually last long.
- I can crack my toes just by wiggling them - something I used to get a lot of enjoyment out of when I discovered that most people hate that sound.
- My favorite candy is a Chinese powdered plum sweet & sour candy. No American I've ever known has liked this candy, and it's actually losing popularity in Taiwan too! I have to go to special old-fashioned candy stores to buy it. One of my greatest fears is that I will go to Taiwan someday and not be able to find any. I usually try to buy enough that I can eat one a day for a few months . . . and it's usually gone within a week of being back in America.
- Someone recently pointed out to me that I'm more excited by the thought of things than actually getting them. So that Christmas present you were going to send me? You can probably just email a picture and I'll be just as happy.
- I wrote a paper in 7th grade on the history of democracy. I resubmitted it in a 10th grade history class, and then again in a college history class. A's all 3 times and I never reworked it. I guess I peaked early.
- I love to sleep. Love it. Apparently ending a date so that you can go home and go to bed is not a good idea though - then they think you're not interested.
- I love to cook, but only recently have I been able to bake. For years, every time I tried to bake something it would burn because I would be reading in another room and forget about it. Now I've learned to read in the same room, and set the timer for 5 minutes before it actually needs to come out because that is about how long I can handle listening to the beeps before I actually get up to get the food. I once made a pan of brownies that actually had to be cut with a saw (I know at that point why would you cut them right? Well, we had our reasons).
- I love fried rice. I could eat it all day, every day. Yet, even though a lot of people tell me I make delicious fried rice (seriously, why can Americans not figure out how to fry rice?! No offense...) I can never make it like the dirty little restaurants scattered throughout Taiwan. Maybe it's something about the smog in the air that adds that extra flavor?
- I'm pretty sure I'm meant to live in Hong Kong. I don't know why, when, or how, but I know that Hong Kong and I are meant to be.
Jennifer's Questions for Me
1. What is your favorite book?
I hate this question so much! How are you supposed to pick a favorite book? I'm going to answer this in more depth than probably anyone wants.
Favorite Children's Book: Miss Suzy
Favorite Book for adventure: Peter Pan or The Scarlet Pimpernel
Favorite Series: Harry Potter
Favorite Book for falling in love: Pride and Prejudice
Favorite Book when things are tough: Gone With The Wind or Jane Eyre
Favorite Book with beautiful language: The History of Love
Favorite Science Fiction Book: Ender's Game
Favorite Time Travel Book: Outlander
Favorite Non-Fiction: Warriors Don't Cry
I am strongly tempted to go on . . . favorite adaption of a fairy tale, favorite graphic novel, favorite book of poetry . . . but I think I'd better stop before this blog post gets too long.
2. If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it?
The very first thing I would do with a million dollars is build Union Colony Prep School the nicest school library ever. Okay, let's face it, with the cost of things these days, that's all I would be able to do with it. It would be worth it though. Go Timberwolves!
3. Do you have any pets? If so, what? If not, what pet would you want?
Now that Freddie has passed, I have a sad empty aquarium. I was thinking maybe a turtle? Unfortunately those adorable tiny turtles are illegal in the states...
4. If you could meet someone famous, who would it be?
Living or dead? Living it would be JK Rowling. Dead it would be Charles Dickens.
5. Do you have a guilty pleasure?
There are quite a few book series that I follow that I won't be admitting to anyone anytime soon...
6. If you had one super power, what would it be?
Either to be invisible or to fly. I think that invisible might be best though. I'm afraid of heights. If I weren't, flying would be awesome because every other thing I am afraid of can be avoided by flying. So then I would never be afraid to go anywhere again!
7. What do you look forward to most about Fall?
Pumpkin! I know I can cook things with pumpkin other times of the year, but I don't think people would be as receptive to it.
8. When and why did you start blogging?
I'm pretty sure I started blogging before blogging existed. When I was 10 and we moved to Taiwan I created my own website and updated it with my life goings-on. Unfortunately, that the mid-late 90's and pretty much none of my friends had computers they could use at home, so I'm not sure that anyone read it.
9. What is your biggest fear?
I'm fairly certain anyone who knows me well enough to read my blog probably knows the answer to this one, so I'll pass.
10. If your house was on fire, what is the FIRST thing you would make sure to retrieve? family/people/animals don't count. :)
I've got some autographed books I'm pretty attached to... But probably my grandma's jewelry that she gave me awhile ago. Her wedding ring, engagement ring, etc...
11. What is your favorite movie?
Love Actually. I think it might be the perfect movie.
Julie @ The Williams Family
Crystalyn @ FlavorPink
Erin @ Shine Within
Cami @ Nert
Sharon @ EeWensTales
Meagan @ The Reynolds
Stacy @ Four Little Bankbugs
Emilie @ Nick + Em + A Little Babe
Ray @ Every Day is a Happy Day
Cami @ Life is Like Two Mangos
Kelli @ Justin&Kelli
My Questions for You
- Favorite vacation spot?
- Best food you've ever had?
- Worst haircut you've ever received? (Please, feel free to include a picture)
- The book that made you cry the most?
- The movie that made you laugh the hardest?
- Favorite belt-out-loud-in-the-shower-when-no-one-else-is-home song?
- Weirdest talent you have?
- First thing you do when you get home?
- Christmas present you're hoping to get this year?
- First book character you ever fell in love with?
- Favorite holiday?